Subject Vision Statement
At St. Ignatius Catholic Primary School the Art and Design Curriculum is designed to empower children so that they become responsible for their own learning through:
- Enjoying their Learning.
- Having a go.
- Developing their concentration.
- Fostering a 'Don’t Give Up' attitude.
- Co-operating with others.
- Using their imagination
- Being curious
- Evaluating, comparing and improving their work.
Art and Design
- The Art and Design Curriculum is planned to be cross curricular, linking with RE, English, History, Geography, Maths and Science. Topics are taught through several strands:
- Exploring and developing ideas
- Evaluating and developing work
- A variety of technical skills:
- Drawing, Painting, Printing, Textiles/collage, 3 D form.
- Working alone and collaboratively in 2 and 3 dimensions and different scales.
- Use of ICT.
- Investigating different kinds of art, craft and design through a knowledge of different artists and sculptors.
Ideas are developed by using first hand observations and imagination. Children are encouraged to question and then select ideas and processes that are most suitable to use in their work.
Children review and decide how they would adapt and improve their work, annotating work accordingly and explaining how their ideas could be developed further.
The technical skills are taught using different mediums and by examining examples of specific artists and sculptors to expand the children's knowledge of their works.